MEET Michael McManus, LCSW
Michael McManus, LCSW
"I believe in working with clients to discover and enhance their internal strengths and potential. I believe that each of us has the ability to significantly improve our life situation and by taking that journey with a therapist we can move forward more rapidly on our path to self discovery and empowerment." Michael
I enjoy working with adults and teenagers dealing with self esteem issues, depression, relationship issues, identity issues, divorce recovery, substance abuse and couples therapy.
- Academy for Eating Disorders (AED) - A multidisciplinary professional organization that focuses on Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, Binge Eating Disorder and related disorders. Also sponsors a newsletter and a conference.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics - Formerly the American Dietetic Association, offers information about eating disorders, including an extensive nutrition reading list and a professional directory that allows visitors to search for Dietitians specializing in eating disorders.
- Binge Eating Disorder Association (BEDA) - The Binge Eating Disorder Association (BEDA) is the national organization focusing on increased prevention, diagnosis, and treatment for Binge Eating Disorder.
- Diabulimia Helpline - Diabulimia Helpline is the world's first non-profit organization working to help those afflicted by diabulimia, and raise awareness of this deadly disease.
- Eating Disorders Coalition for Research, Policy & Action (EDC) - This website offers the opportunity to join advocacy efforts at the federal level.
- F.E.A.S.T. - F.E.A.S.T. is an organization of and for parents and caregivers to help loved ones recover from eating disorders by providing information and mutual support, promoting evidence-based treatment, and advocating for research and education to reduce the suffering associated with eating disorders.
- Child and Adolescent Bipolar Foundation - The Child & Adolescent Bipolar Foundation educates families, professionals, and the public about pediatric bipolar disorder; connects families with resources and support.
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance - DBSA is the nation’s leading patient-directed organization focusing on depression and bipolar disorder, primarily for adults and their families.
- BP Children - Offers mood charts, posters, a newsletter, and excellent books such as Intense Minds, Brandon and the Bipolar Bear (also available in a DVD storytelling format), Anger Mountain, and My Roller Coaster Feelings Book and Work Book
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance - DBSA provides hope, help, support, and education to improve the lives of people who have mood disorders.
- National Alliance of Mental Illness - NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness.
- The American Psychiatric Association - An organization of psychiatrists working together to ensure humane care and effective treatment for all persons with mental illness.
- The UCLA Childhood OCD, Anxiety & Tic Disorders Program - A clinical research program that specializes in the evaluation and treatment of anxiety and related problems in children
- The Yale Child Study Center Program for Anxiety Disorders - A leading clinical and research center for the assessment and treatment of children with anxiety disorders.
- The Center for Anxiety and Related Disorders at Boston University - An internationally known clinical and research center specializing in helping both adults and children address a range of anxiety disorders and related challenges.
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America - A national nonprofit organization that works to raise awareness and improve the lives of people living with anxiety and depression, Anxiety and Depression Association of America is a comprehensive resource for facts and information about a variety of anxiety-related issues as well as treatment options.
- Anxiety.org - Developed by doctors at the UCLA Anxiety Disorders Research Center, Anxiety.org bridges the gap between professionals and consumers by offering a wealth of research-based news and information in a consumer-friendly format.
- The Anxiety Network - The Anxiety Network provides information about panic disorders, generalized anxiety, and social anxiety. News, blog posts by anxiety experts, and information about related issues and how to cope with anxiety are also offered.
- American Academy of Child Adolescent Psychiatry - AACAP provides concise up-to-date information on issues that affect children, teenagers, and their families.
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center - Cincinnati Children’s, a nonprofit academic medical center established in 1883, is one of the oldest and most distinguished pediatric hospitals in the United States.
- The Humane Society - The Humane Society of the United States is the nation’s largest and most effective animal protection organization.
Trauma, Abuse & Neglect
- HealthyChildren.org - Specializes in the health of children and includes gender non-conforming & transgender children
- The Family Acceptance Project™ - A research, intervention, education and policy initiative that works to prevent health and mental health risks for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) children and youth
- PFLAG.org - PFLAG is a branch of LGBT that provides support, information, tools, and resources to parents.
- Learning Disabilities Association of America - LDA has provided support to people with learning disabilities, their parents, teachers and other professionals with cutting edge information on learning disabilities.
- National Center For Learning Disabilities - The mission of NCLD is to improve the lives of the 1 in 5 children and adults nationwide with learning and attention issues—by empowering parents and young adults, transforming schools and advocating for equal rights and opportunities.
- Council for Exceptional Children - The Council for Exceptional Children provides information and resources about Special Education.
- First Signs - First Signs is dedicated to educating parents and professionals about early identification and intervention for children at risk for developmental delays and disorders, including autism.
- American Academy of Pediatrics - The American Academy of Pediatrics comprises pediatricians committed to the health of infants, children, adolescents, and young adults.
- Insure Kids Now! - Each state provides no-cost or low-cost health insurance coverage for eligible children through Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program. This website has basic facts about these programs.
- The Incredible Years - Research-based programs, proven effective in reducing children's aggression and behavior problems, while increasing social competence at home and at school.
- VeryWell.com - A variety of useful resources to help parents and caretakers understand and cope with a child's disruptive behavior.
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder - Even the best-behaved children can be difficult and challenging at times. Teens are often moody and argumentative. But if your child or teen has a persistent pattern of tantrums, arguing and angry or disruptive behaviors toward you and other authority figures, he or she may have oppositional defiant disorder (ODD).
- CHADD - Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD), is an organization providing education, advocacy and support for individuals with ADHD
- The National Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health - NFFCMH is a national family-run organization linking more than 120 chapters and state organizations focused on the issues of children and youth with emotional, behavioral, or mental health needs and their families.
- About.com - Great AD/HD column written by Keath Low. Keath posts new content each week that is full of information, support and ideas you can use. Her past columns provide an excellent on-line resource for nearly any ADHD related topic you can think of.
- American Psychological Association - The APA is also a fountain of information and support on specific emotional disturbances.
- Center on Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports - The PBIS Center provides research-based information on how to provide behavioral supports to children.
- Allies with Families - Allies with Families was created in 1991 to offer practical support and resources for parents and their children and youth who face serious emotional, behavioral, and mental health challenges.
- Pendulum.org - Resources that offers support, information and education on depression and bipolar disorder.
- National Alliance on Mental Health - An alliance of thousands of Americans dedicated to improving the lives of people with mental illness.
- WebMD - Offers comprehensive information for people suffering from depression. WebMD also covers how depression is diagnosed, treated and prevented.
- Depression: A Guide for Teens - Information for the causes and effects on teenage depression and strategies to cope with depression.
- HealthyPlace.com - The largest consumer mental health site, providing comprehensive, trusted information on psychological disorders and psychiatric medications from both a consumer and expert point of view.
- Erika's Lighthouse - A comprehensive resources for parents of children that are dealing with depression.
Separation Anxiety Disorder
- Separation Anxiety - Describes typical phase of separation anxiety in infants and young children.
- Anxiety and Children - Provides an overview of separation anxiety disorder, symptoms and treatment options. (American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry)
- Separation Anxiety - Offers practical suggestions for parents dealing with separation anxiety disorder, as well as books to read to children.
- Moodswings - One of the first online psychotherapies for bipolar disorder. It is based on a successful validated manualized intervention, the MAPS programme.
- Pendulum.org - One of the oldest mailing lists on this topic also has a Web site which is a very comprehensive resource on bipolar disorder, offering online resources, symptom lists, book lists, medications, treatment options, etc.
- VeryWell.com - An online community and extensive collection of resources which includes articles, newsletters, chat, forums, links and much more for those who struggle with this disorder.
- International OCD Foundation - IOCDF work to increase access to effective treatment, end the stigma associated with mental health issues, and foster a community for those affected by OCD and the professionals who treat them.
- BeyondOCD.com - Beyond OCD's mission is to ensure that all people affected by OCD, anxiety, and related disorders have access to the help they need to live life to its fullest potential.
- OCDuk.org - An organization that supports children and adults affected by obsessive-compulsive disorder. Offer many resources including news, links and coping techniques.
- National Institute of Mental Health - Offers information and understanding of mental illnesses, including signs and symptoms and treatment of panic attacks.
- Anxiety and Depression Society of America - A comprehensive resource for people and suffer from anxiety and depression.
- National Anxiety/Panic Disorder Newsletter - Your FREE Guide To Anxiety, Panic Attacks & Phobias Do you feel like you have, or could be developing, an anxiety disorder? This website contains much of the most recent anxiety and panic attacks related information available and is updated regularly as more research becomes available.
- Social Phobia - The Social Phobia/Social Anxiety Association (SP/SAA), a non-profit organization, was officially organized in 1997 to meet the growing needs of people throughout the world who have social phobia/social anxiety.
- Fear of Flying School - The Fear of Flying School offers articles and interviews intended to help people who fear air travel. Sign-up for the free mailing list and start overcoming your fear of flying.
- Social Anxiety Support - Online support community for those who suffer from social anxiety (social phobia).
- Heathline.com - Offers helpful information and trusted health advice for people who are suffering from Adjustment Disorder.
- WebMD.com - A great resource for people looking for information, treatment, symptoms and advice on many conditions or disorders such as Adjustment Disorder.
- Make The Connection - Learn the signs and symptoms of adjustment disorder. Hear stories from other Veterans. Find treatment options for adjustment disorders.
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- National Center for PTSD - Part of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, has a website with targeted information for anyone interested in PTSD.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder News & Research - Overview of the latest research on PTSD, including its causes, risk factors, and promising new treatments. (National Institute of Mental Health)
- Partners with PTSD - Article for the friends and family members of people with PTSD. Includes an explanation of symptoms and what you can do to help. (Gift from Within)
Borderline Personality Disorder
- National Institute of Mental Health - This excellent site thoroughly covers the subjects of What Is Borderline Personality Disorder, Signs and Symptoms of BPD, Treatment, Clinical
- BPD Demystified. - The website is a compilation of all the essentials necessary for learning, understanding, and getting to the ‘nitty gritty’ of borderline personality disorder.
- NEABPD - National Education Alliance for Boarderline Personality Disorder is a resources for families and people in recovery.
Family Counseling & Support
- The American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy - The professional association for the field of marriage and family therapy.
- AFTA - Offers a unique Annual Conference that addresses personal and professional growth through peer discussion and current research.
- The Family Dynamics - Institute started in 1994 and helps couples grow happier and ensure their children remain happy and stay productive in their development.
Low Self Esteem
- PsychCentral.com - Great resource for individuals that are seeking information self esteem struggles and strategies that can help.
- SelfImprovement.com - A place to find tips, tools, and knowledge that helps you to create opportunities and improve low self esteem.
- Psychology Today - Simple suggestions for building confidence and low self esteem.
- GoodTherapy.com - Resources for people looking for information and coping mechanisms for many life transitions.
- Forbes.com - Offers a great article for surviving major life transitions by focusing on 3 main areas which are flexibility, margin and grace.
- PsychologyToday - In-Depth information on coping with difficult situations and life transitions.
- NASP Center - Information on improving social skills to help promote positive behavior, academic success, and school safety.
- VeryWell - Great overview of social skills training to help adults who suffer from social anxiety disorder.
- HelpGuide.org - A trusted guide to mental, emotional & social health that deals with social anxiety disorder and social phobia.
- American Heart Association - Great resources regarding stress management and technigues to take control of your life.
- The American Institute of Stress - The American Institute of Stress is a nonprofit organization that provides information and resources about various causes and symptoms of stress, as well as materials for stress solutions and treatment
- Stress Free Kids - Family dynamics and conflicts can put a strain on all family members, creating stress and anxiety for children and adults alike. Parents can use StressFreeKids.com to introduce children to basic mindfulness techniques, help boost their self-esteem, and make bedtime easier.
- ADAA.org - Anxiety and Depression Association of America has many helpful resources regarding body dysmorphic and best ways to cope with this disorder.
- Body Dysmorphic Foundations - BDF helps advance education of the public and healthcare professionals, helping them to understand the nature of BDD and how it might best be treated.
- Mayo Clinic - Offers great overview of body dysmorphic disorder and includes treatments, symptoms and self management help.
- Open to Hope - Open to Hope is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping people find hope after loss. They provide encouraging articles, books, and an online community to help people deal with difficult losses and continue to live happy, meaningful lives while working through grief.
- The Sweeney Alliance - The Sweeney Alliance is a non-profit organization that was founded by Peggy Sweeney to help families and professionals cope with grief and stress. The alliance offers a wide array of programs catering to both children and adults, as well as online resources and a regular newsletter.
- Scholastic children’s grief resources - Schalastic Children’s Grief Resources is an integral page for helping children who are experiencing grief and the various implications associated with the passing of a loved one. The content on the site illustrates how teachers can help, as well as advice on informing students.
- Helpguide.org - Trusted guide to mental, emotional & social health by focusing on the understanding, symptoms, treatment and resources for self harming disorder.
- Harmless.org.uk - Self Harm Support at Harmless providing a range of services about self harm including support, information, training and consultancy to people who self harm
- Self Injury Outreach & Support - As part of a collaboration between the University of Guelph and McGill University, we are a non-profit outreach initiative providing information and resources about self-injury to those who self-injure, those who have recovered, and those who want to help.
- Psychology Today - Offers resources to help self regulate and offer symptoms for chronic impulsivity.
- Understood.org - A resource for children with learning & attention issues with information on learning how to deal with your child's impulsivity.
- CalmClinic.com - A website that informs and help other realize they're not alone in dealing with Chronic Impulsivity.
Self Somatic Complaints
- Medlineplus.gov - Trusted health information regarding somatic complaints that covers symptoms, tests, treatments and resources.
- American Academy of Family Physicians - Promotes the highest quality care for individuals with mental illness, including somatic complaints, and their families.
- Webmd.com - Source for original and timely health information as well as material from well known content providers regarding many conditions including somatic complaints.
- Medical News Today - Offers a great resource on anger management and includes symptoms, strategies, treatments and causes.
- American Psychological Association - Great articles on how to control your anger before it controls you.
- Scholastic.com - Great article to help your child understand and master anger.
- Wikipedia - Reactive attachment disorder - An article on Reactive attachment disorder about the signs and symptoms, diagnosis, causes and treatment.
- Mayo Clinic - Reactive attachment disorder - Read about the causes, symtoms, complications, tests and diagnosis, treatment and drugs for Reactive attachment disorder.
- Medline Plus - Reactive attachment disorder of infancy or early childhood - Learn about the causes of reactive attachment disorder in infancy or early childhood. Read about the symptoms and treatment.